Wednesday, 11 June 2008

Bird in its cage

This is based on Leonard Cohen’s Bird on the Wire, using the same metre and rhyming. I did it just to see what would emerge.

Like a bird in its cage
Like a lab rat in a rage
I have tried in my way to be free
Like a poem in a book
Like a pawn threatened by a rook
I have saved all my crying for thee

If I, if I have been cruel to you
I hope that you can forgive my mistakes
If I, if I have been stupid too
You know it was never meant to harm you

Like a baby, stillborn
Like a mother whose heart is torn
I have witnessed your pain in my soul
But I swear by this song
By each moment this life is long
I will try once again to make you whole

I saw Christ hanging from his wooden cross
He said to me “I’m so sorry for your loss”
And his mother Mary, crying at his side
She cried to me “My son died for your pride”

But like this bird in its cage
Like the lab rat all in a rage
I did try in my way to be free

Like God in his hall
Like the devil at the Fall
I have tried in my way to be free

Like a butcher with his knife
Like the serial killer’s wife
I have tried in my way to be free

Like the rabbit in the light
Trying to gain control of his fright
I have tried in my way to be free

And like a man at his death
Sucking the beauty of his last breath
I did try all the time to be free

No comments: