Wednesday, 11 June 2008

Sonnet: Political Fireworks

Sometimes I write a poem taking single lines or phrases at random from books, usually political, spiritual or poetic, then pulling them together in ways that appeal to me, sometimes changing the words to better fit, sometimes leaving different lines to clash. I like creating in this way and I often like the results; whether it works for other readers I can't judge.

Not the market place
It degenerated into a squabble
Developed the libertarian message
Of social ecology

Wall posters went up around town
All abstract entities such as the State
Drawing on anthropology

The verdicts are imposed by private prosecutors
Promises do not carry moral weight
A very low opinion of politics
Permeates the air we breathe

Sentenced to fifteen years hard labour
Unlike the Suffragettes
They wish to eliminate all sensual pleasure

6/4/8

No comments: